Saturday 14 January 2012

A frosty morning!!

Frost


It was a very frosty morning today, and rather than waste it, I thought I'd go for a photo walk back to my favourite location..
Yep you guessed it, the Purton Wrecks!






The place never fails to inspire me and relax me. Ive been there many many times, but always find something new and interesting to photograph. I could spend hours there just wandering around.
The walk started at the bridge, a light mist was just starting to rise thanks to the morning sun.

Bridge approach























I walked further down the towpath towards the wrecks and just had to shoot this scene, even though Ive shot the exact same image on several occasions!


The canal




I continued walking down to the gate where the wrecks are. It was surprisingly busy, with many other photographers there, people walking and early morning fishermen.


I started looking for some interesting places, I already know most of the good spots, but wanted to find a new one. I found this couple, fishing.. Well they were fishing in between the kissing anyway!



Fishing




I couldn't walk past and not shoot this next shot.. It the same composition as one I took before at sunset, that won me a competition.



Frosty Barge





Never shot this angle before, I really liked the big barge in the foreground, and the skeletal remains of one in the background. Plus all the graffiti just adds some texture.



Vera




The skeleton from the background above.



Bones


Decay




I then came upon this one. Ive walked past it many times, but just never saw the shot. For whatever reason it just jumped out at me today.
I knew before I even set the tripod down, I wanted this in black and white. I shoot RAW, so knew I'd have to get it right in Lightroom. I wasn't sure if I could capture the depth between the two walls of wood, but I think I got it.



Monolith



I took a few more landscapes which can be seen on my Flickr pages, but I wanted to try out my Sigma Macro lens, as I haven't really used it in anger yet.
Unfortunately, this meant getting wet and muddy!



Independance


Drops


Frost



That was quite enough of that.. Far to cold to be rolling around on the floor.
Out came the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 manual focus lens. The sharpest lens I own by far, and the best value *read cheapest!* This things doesn't get used a lot, but when it does, it never fails to disappoint.



Barge
Prickle

The Fence



Well, that was pretty much it. I headed home and got editing with the new Lightroom 4 Beta, which is really good!  I'm loving the new highlight and shadow sliders, and its so hard not to whack the clarity upto 100 for that uber cool HDR look.  Some of the photos I took, would have ended up in the bin I reckon, but LR4 came to the rescue!

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing photographer, I have ever seen. The black and out mixes, the dew drops, etc etc.. I cant miss anything here. :)
    Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete