Tuesday 17 May 2011

Like a kid at Xmas!!

A new (well new to me) lens arrived today. A Nikon AF 300 f/4..  Yummy!

My new baby!


I was a bit hesitant to buy this, as I wasnt sure about being limited by a prime lens, and I wasnt sure about the autofocus, as I had heard a lot of things about it and not all good!

However after initial testing in the back garden, I am VERY impressed!!  Pin sharp even wide open, and reassuringly weighty, although slimmer than I was expecting. Yes the autofocus is slow and noisy, but it does the job. Would I like the AF-S version.. Sure, but its double the price this was.. so its a no brainer.

I bought it mainly for the upcoming airshow season, but to test I had to make do with some smaller winged objects.


DSC_5170

Bokehlicious!


This is a 100% crop straight from the camera, with just some sharpening as it was shot in RAW.

100% crop

DSC_5001

Safe to say this lens is very sharp, and should be even better when the light improves!

No comments:

Post a Comment